- There are a surprising number of people claiming innovations without having any evidence to back up their claim.
- Even though I took this important thought away from the video, I’m confident that few educators would be surprised or disagree with this statement.
- There needs to be some sort of evidence from data that something is working.
- I wish there would have been some discussion about the importance of classroom/teacher data. Too often we wait on state/national assessments which doesn’t give teachers quick and efficient evidence of what their students do and don’t know.
- As a teacher and educator, my beef is rarely with data. My beef is that we often obtain and use data in the most ineffective and disparaging ways. I really liked the quote below taken from Michael Fullan’s website.
…When data are precise, presented in a non-judgmental way, considered by peers, and used for improvement as well as for external accountability, they serve to balance pressure and support.
Michael Fullan’s Topic Videos is a series of 22 short clips, 2-3 minutes each delve into a variety of educational topics . These videos include real life examples suitable for teachers, principals, and administrators. The videos are designed and filmed to illustrate ‘motion leadership in action’.
What are your take-a-ways from ‘Using Data‘?