1. Fullan stated that pedagogy was the drawing out learning. I have always been told pedagogy was the art of teaching and the science have how we teach so that students learn. I quite like those definitions.
2. In the video, Fullan talked about the New Pedagogy. The New Pedagogy focuses on the most powerful learning relationships among students and teachers. The New Pedagogy includes:
- Learning Partnerships-
- There is a definite learning partnership between students and teachers. In this partnership students and teachers learn from one another. Students learn from other students. Students learn from teachers. Teachers learn from students. The learning isn’t a one way street; it is more democratic. In addition, students have more leadership and control over their learning while teachers act as a facilitator.
- Deep Learning Goals- These deep learning goals include the 6 Cs*:
- Character education — honesty, self-regulation and responsibility, hard work, perseverance, empathy for contributing to the safety and benefit of others, self confidence, personal health and well-being, career and life skills.
- Citizenship — global knowledge, sensitivity to and respect for other cultures, active involvement in addressing issues of human and environmental sustainability.
- Communication — communicate effectively orally, in writing and with a variety of digital tools; listening skills.
- Critical thinking and problem solving — think critically to design and manage projects, solve problems, make effective decisions using a variety of digital tools and resources.
- Collaboration — work in teams, learn from and contribute to the learning of others, social networking skills, empathy in working with diverse others.
- Creativity and imagination — economic and social entrepreneurialism, considering and pursuing novel ideas, and leadership for action.
- Use technology to accelerate learning.
- Not all technology is effective but can be if you connect pedagogy, deep learning goals, and use technology specifically to accelerate learning.
- I have always thought that technology for the sake of technology was a colossal waste of time. It isn’t about the technology at all. It’s all about how you use it. If you can’t teach without technology, then you can’t teach with it.
- Michael Fullan and Katelyn Donnelly wrote in the Alive in the Swamp, technology used without powerful teaching strategies (and deep learning tasks) does not get us very far. (from A Rich Seam: How New Pedagogies Find Deep Learning*)
Michael Fullan’s Topic Videos is a series of 22 short clips, 2-3 minutes each delve into a variety of educational topics . These videos include real life examples suitable for teachers, principals, and administrators. The videos are designed and filmed to illustrate ‘motion leadership in action’.
* Fullan, M. & Langworthy, M. (2014) A Rich Seam: How New Pedagogies Find Deep Learning, London: Pearson
Note: Permission to share A Rich Seam is granted under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported (CC By 3.0) licence to replicate, copy, distribute, transmit or adapt all content freely provided that attribution is provided. To view a copy of this licence, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0 or send a letter to Creative Commons, 559 Nathan Abbott Way, Stanford, California 94305, USA.
What are your take-a-ways from ‘The New Pedagogy’?