Sleep studies consistently indicate that a between 50% – 65% of people do not get enough sleep. There are so many reasons for this lack of rest: stress, work, using electronics prior to bedtime, poor health, alcohol, naps, depression, inhospitable sleep environment, stimulants, the dreaded insomnia, and more.
It really should come as no surprise that we humans don’t get enough sleep. But how much sleep is enough? The National Sleep Foundation recently released new sleep recommendations.
What are some suggestions to encourage a good night’s sleep? Check out some suggestions below from the National Sleep Foundation:
- Stick to a sleep schedule , even on weekends.
- Practice a relaxing bedtime ritual preferably without alcohol.
- Exercise daily.
- Keep your bedroom clean.
- Sleep on a clean, comfortable mattress, and pillows.
- Limit alcohol and caffeine before bedtime.
- Don’t go to bed hungry.
- Turn off electronics before bed.
It doesn’t matter if you are an early bird or night owl, rest is essential to good health. Do you have any tips for a good night’s sleep? Do you wish you could improve your sleep habits? Let me know in the comments.