Summary of Dolphin Tail: In an inspirational story of the bond between animals and humans, a boy named Sawyer discovers an injured dolphin, who is brought to a marine hospital and named Winter. Unfortunately,her injuries cost Winter her tail, without which shemay not survive. But with Sawyer’s devotion, a marine biologist’s (Harry Connick Jr.) expertise and the brilliance of a prosthetist (Morgan Freeman) charged with creating a new tail, Winter may receive a second chance at life.
Focus Questions for Putting a Tail on a Fish Clip:
- Is a dolphin a fish? Justify your answer. Make sure to listen to the students without immediately correcting them. Hear what they think then kindly address their misconceptions with evidence.
- Once the discussion is over, make sure students understand why dolphins are mammals. Clear up those misconceptions.
- What is the function of a dolphin tale?
- Compare and contrast a dolphin to a catfish. Note: Being from Louisiana, my students are familiar with the deliciousness that is catfish.
- How can dolphins communicate with one another?
- Warner Brothers and the National Wildlife Federation released and DolphinTale Educators’ Guide with activities to support learning in the classroom.
- Venn Diagram– From Eduplace
- Interactive Venn Diagram from Read, Write, Think
How could you use this video clip or movie in your classroom?