There are some promises I can never keep…
10. I promise I won’t eat the candy from the treat bucket.
I’m totally going to eat that candy. Unless it’s candy corn. I won’t eat it; that stuff is the worst.
9. I promise I will always be in a good mood in the mornings.
8. I promise I will always remember to check last night’s homework.
I’m driving home, and BAM! I realize I forgot to check the homework. The next day; they all have the homework from the night before- even the ones who rarely do homework. I still somehow win.
7. I promise I will return your graded papers so fast it will make your head spin.
Procrastination is indeed the thief of time. I try to get feedback to my students in a timely manner because I think it is disrespectful to their work and time if I don’t. It just takes me a few days.
6. I promise I will never eat or drink anything while grading your papers. Hence, you will never have to worry about coffee or chocolate stains on your work.
That purple stain is just soup. Mmm Hmm. Don’t ask questions. Go sit down!
5. I promise I will never lock myself out of our classroom.
My keys are always disappearing on me. I think they hang out the same place all my remotes and cell phone hang.
4. There will be no humor in my class. I don’t smile ’till December.
“Be stern for the first the first semester. Don’t let them see you smile!” This is the worst advice ever. I don’t want to hate the first 8-9 hours of my day everyday. I’m strict with my expectations, but I gotta be me!
3. I promise to only get the substitutes you like.
I’m going to get the subs I like. I’m fortunate to have a list of awesome, hardworking substitutes.
2. I promise I will never get off topic in class.
It took me a long time to accept that this is “how I roll”, and I needed to start planning for off topic discussions. I know which subjects will get us to hemming and hawing, and I make time for it. I try to make it organic; students think they are wasting class time. Little do they know I have masterminded it all! Bwahahahahaha!
I still somehow manage to get off topic though.
1. I promise I will never raise my voice.
I’m not a fan of yelling at other human beings, but raising my voice will happen. On the other hand, I don’t stay mad, and I never hold grudges. I don’t have time for all that nonsense clogging up my emotional space.