I recently shared a video clip from Frozen and talked about how you could have a great discussion about heat energy. This clip from The Princess and the Frog is great for sparking students’ interests about Louisiana history and geography.
Possible Video Discussion Questions:
- Ray said he was a Cajun. What does that mean?
- What evidence did Ray give to support that he was a Cajun?
- Explain what you know about the Cajun culture.
- What is a bayou? How is a bayou different or similar to a lake or river? What type of organism(s) can you find in a bayou?
- Use a Louisiana map to explain why Ray the lightning bug, who is from New Orleans, would think Shreveport was “Far, far away from this world”.
These were just a few ways you could use this video clip. Please share any other ideas you have in the comments.
Side Note: Ray was a lightning bug. Being from Louisiana, I always called them that. I didn’t know until I was an adult that fireflies and lightning bugs were the same thing. There has been a significant decline in the lightning bug/firefly population in Louisiana over the years. I rarely see them anymore which is too bad. Lightning bugs are awesome.
I used to think it was inappropriate to use movie clips in my classroom. I’m glad I got over that.